Tuesday 23 December 2014

more book-making

So I made a few more books! (but now since my last post, I want to try making a star fold book too, haha! Ah well, it's always good to be inspired to make more, isn't it!)

Here's a few pictures of my process, and then the finished books themselves. I wanted the books to reflect my work, so I was playing around with hand making/personalising covers using techniques from my textile projects.

cutting pages to begin!
Here I transfer printed sections of one of my flower prints onto Polypropylene plastic to create a rigid, yet flexible cover. I'm pleased with how the print has come out!
 Scoring the cover front and back, so that it can open in a flexible way to make the inside pages useable!
 Measuring across the spine of the book to work out where to punch holes through. This stage took a lot of focus and patience, as my hole punch is rather small and could only just fit one side of the cover, and then a few pages at a time inside- thankfully it all lined up in the end though!
 Yarn to tie up the finished book. I think the print on the front looks quite dramatic- I'm pleased with the outcome.
 opening the book up:

 the back:

Book 2

This book is a perfect bind with a hard cover. 

Cutting the covers-
 Scoring and folding to create the cover spine
 gluing the pages with PVA to create the perfect bind
 attaching glue strips to the cover to create decorative foiling technique on the outside
 the foiled covers, all ready to put the book together now!
 ta-dah! hard back, perfect bind book :)


 the back-


my latest hand-made books!







No comments:

Post a Comment